Join our Doors Open team! Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, have a good time, and learn about our city’s iconic buildings.
Volunteer registration is now open. Please click on the pink “Become a Volunteer” bar. We will do our utmost to place you at your top-choice venues, according to your registration information.
We’re looking for volunteers who
- have an interest in architecture, heritage or design
- enjoy engaging with the public
- enjoy meeting and working with new people
- have strong communication skills
- are reliable and respectful
- are 16 years of age or older
- can attend one of our mandatory orientation sessions
The majority of volunteers will act as Information Ambassadors.
In this role, you will be posted to one of the Doors Open venues. More specifically, you will
- welcome visitors
- share general knowledge with visitors about your venue and the Doors Open program
- provide recommendations to visitors regarding nearby Doors Open venues
- manage crowds at high traffic venues
- commit to a full-day shift (9:30 am–4:30 pm), a morning shift (9:30 am–1:30 pm) or an afternoon shift (12:30-4:30 pm)
Information Ambassadors will be supported by a team of Venue Captains.
As a Venue Captain, you will be assigned to supervise a zone of three to five venues in close proximity to each other. You will
- rotate regularly among the venues in your zone
- ensure your Information Ambassadors have everything they need and help them with any problems they might encounter
- respond to shifting priorities as the day unfolds
- act as liaison between your Information Ambassadors and the DOH volunteer coordinators
- be knowledgeable about the entire Doors Open program, especially the venues in your area
- have experience as team leaders
- be reliable and organized
- be a problem solver
- commit to one full day (9:00 am–5:00 pm)