This perfectly circular structure was built between 1800 and 1812 under the patronage of Edward, Duke of Kent, with financial support from his father, George III. The building was then expanded in the 1820s and again in the 1910s.
St. George’s Round Church is the oldest wooden round church in North America, and is an excellent example of Palladian architecture.
In 1994, a fire heavily damaged the building and destroyed the domed roof. Restoration of St. George’s lasted six years.
The crypt holds only two people: Colonel Joseph Des Barres, the cartographer responsible for the mapping of the Atlantic coast from Newfoundland to New York and first lieutenant-governor of Cape Breton Island, and his wife, Martha.