In 2010, the Saint Antionios congregation had outgrown its previous church building and purchased its neighbour across the street, St. Matthias Anglican Church, which was in danger of closure and demolition. A major two-year renovation was completed in 2012.
The renovation involved re-orienting the altar and sanctuary eastward, and relocating the main entrance, transforming the church from the classic 1914 English-style, red brick structure it had previously been to one that embodies the Orthodox faith.
On the walls and dome of Saint Antonios are painted spectacular religious depictions, similar to those in St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church (another Doors Open venue). Precious stained-glass windows, many commemorating St. Matthias parish’s war dead, were bequeathed to Saint Antonios by the St. Matthias parishioners.