Veith House

3115 Veith St., Halifax

The building that’s home to Veith House was built in 1924 as the Halifax Protestant Orphanage to replace the previous orphanage that was destroyed in the Halifax Explosion seven years earlier.

The orphanage closed in 1969 and shortly thereafter was re-established as Veith House, a community resource for children and families. The very first program offered by Veith House in 1970 was Play School, organized by mothers from the surrounding neighbourhood. This program is still offered today as a licensed preschool. Veith House has for many years rented office space to other non-profit organizations and community groups.

Every summer, Veith House is visited by people who lived in the orphanage as children and by their descendants. The stories shared by these families inspired the creation of the Halifax Protestant Orphanage Memorial Room on the third floor. This is a quiet space containing artifacts from the orphanage, as well as items from Veith House’s own 47-year history.